Comparion Insurance Logo

Recreational Vehicle insurance with an agent

Choosing RV insurance can be complex. Our local, licensed insurance agents can help. Call us today! 800-835-0894

Photo of a RV in front of a mountain

We can help you find the best RV insurance

Comparion's local, licensed agents know the insurance world inside and out. They will guide you through the complex process of finding the right RV insurance coverage - and help you save money, too!

Quote with an insurance agent

We're ready to offer personalized advice and quotes on auto, RV, life, pet, and more.
Start your quote
Photo of a man lounging in a chair in front of a RV

What is RV insurance and is it required?

When it comes to insurance, an RV, or recreational vehicle, is a motorized or towable vehicle designed for long-distance travel and mobile living.

It generally includes two categories which also have different insurance requirements:

  1. Motorized RV (motorhome): A motorized vehicle that combines a living area with a driving compartment.

    Insurance coverage on motorized RVs is generally mandatory in most states.

  2. Towable RV: A non-motorized vehicle designed to be towed by a motorized vehicle. These typically include travel trailers, pop-up campers, boat and horse trailers, and similar setups.

    Insurance is usually not required on towable RVs because they do not have a motor. However, you may need insurance if you are renting or financing your towable RV.

An insurance agent near you can help make sure you have the right coverage.

Find an agent or start a quote.

Illustration of a woman filling out paperwork

What type of insurance does an RV need?

A motorized RV requires insurance like a car. At minimum, depending on your state, you'll be required to have liability insurance to protect against damages and injuries to others in the event of an accident.

Collision and comprehensive are recommended to protect your investment and may be required if you are renting or financing your motorized RV.

Other coverages that RV owners should consider are uninsured/underinsured motorist (may be required in some states), emergency roadside assistance, and coverage specific to those using an RV as their primary residence.

Keep in mind that if you are financing or renting your RV (motorized and towable), you may be required to have insurance.

Insurance requirements vary by state so it's essential to be aware of the specific regulations in your area. A local insurance agent can help ensure you have the right insurance coverage.

Find an agent or start a quote.

Illustration of a RV

How do I start working with an agent?

With Comparion, getting an RV insurance quote with an agent is quick and easy. Start an RV insurance quote with just your name, address, email, and phone number, and an insurance agent near you will give you a call to finish the process.

Want to have a conversation first? Find an agent near you and schedule time to talk. We have agents all over the country who are ready to work with you and recommend coverage options that best protect you and your RV.

Start a quote

How much is RV insurance?

The cost of RV insurance can vary widely based on the type of RV, its value, usage, your driving record, location, coverages and limits, and deductible amounts. Factors like bundling with other insurance policies you have, like auto or home, or discounts for safety features or courses can also impact the price of your policy.

We recommend talking with an insurance agent who can get you multiple quotes to find the best coverage at a competitive price.

©2024 Comparion Insurance Agency, A Liberty Mutual Company - 175 Berkeley Street, Boston, MA 02116. The materials herein are for informational purposes only. All statements made are subject to provisions, exclusions, conditions, and limitations of the applicable insurance policy. Coverages and features not available in all states. Eligibility is subject to meeting applicable underwriting criteria. Learn more about our privacy policy at
Comparion is an Equal Opportunity Employer and an Equal Housing Insurer.